Re: Volume handling proposal

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 02:33:22PM -0700, Rob Adams wrote:
> Clearly we should continue to support hardware where this is not
> possible.  But I do not think that we should feel limited by the lowest
> common denominator; ideally we provide support for the newest and
> shiniest features and degrade gracefully on systems where such features
> are not available.  This seems to be the attitude taken with respect to
> X extensions like Render, randr, and xinerama.  I think that we would do
> well to continue this philosophy into lower-level system features like
> ejection notification.

Except then the desktop is ont consistent on a pentium 90 with 32M when
compared to a AMD 2Ghz machine with all the trimmings.  Working around that
problem will be annoying.  Otherwise make a GNOME-lite version (or XCFE).
One could advocate simply choosing a minimum requirements and
forget older machines (and probably throw out all of asia :/)

sri