RE: Formalising the release naming process [Was: GNOME Development Release 2.5.3]

> On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 13:47, iain wrote:

> (1) IBM, Sun, etc.- they have investigated and understood the
> 'community' that comes with all of this 'free software' thing. They
> understand what is going on, and don't care if Jeff, GNOME, or God
> Himself say 'testicles' in a development release announcement.
>
> (2) Folks who buy the 'Java Desktop System', 'Bluecurve', or the
> forthcoming 'Novell Linux Desktop.' Those people not only don't care
> what the GNOME project says, they don't even know what the GNOME desktop
> is.

And how many unknown people who don't fit into your two categories will
see it on a website somewhere and relegate GNOME to "oh, another
immature childish free software project"? A reputation which could
possibly be harder to shake than the bug/crash ridden image from 1.0

If you are so sure that it doesn't matter call the next release "Fuck
you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you". go on, I dare you.

(At least my quote is slightly funny even if you haven't seen the movie
its from, unlike the big lebowski one, which I have seen, and still
didn't find the quote funny in the slightest.)

All I'm asking is, like Daniel, is for a little common sense to be used
when thinking about the appropriatness of the language used in offical
release announcements. I don't care what language you use when
representing yourself, but when you are representing me, I expect
better.

(And yes, I've berated someone for shouting Fuck in the middle of a
toystore on a busy Saturday afternoon. While there may not technically
be anything wrong with it, IMO it is not appropriate)

iain

(And before I get called a prude for being offended by the word
testicles, I wasn't offended in the slightest. I was embarrassed more
than anything else.)