Re: Where we stand in regard to the future platform / desktop technology

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 18:09 -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> If you are willing to believe your seven points as legally sound, Java
> is a passable platform, but history shows otherwise.  Sun has gone to
> court over the control of Java before while Microsoft has never gone to
> court over this.

Sun has gone to court in defense of the adulteration of the Java
platform in order to extend Microsoft's control and destroy the
advantages of Java (which Sun alone controls) -- Microsoft was proven
guilty.

Microsoft has a long track record of dubious behaviour _AND_ criminal
behaviour (as found by US and EU courts on the case of monopoly abuse,
even though the "punishment" is little more than a pat in the back,
better hidden over here in Europe with a one time fine of 1% of the
liquid cash reserves).

Neither Sun or Microsoft are saints, but Microsoft does have a strong
permanent bad record.

In either case, adding to GNOME dependencies on Java/J2EE or C#/.Net  is
absurd and a waste of resources.

It is important that the Free Software community has something to
interpret or even handle these proprietary languages (and don't give me
ECMA RF "sand in the eyes", since there's a lot outside of it that many
will want/need when developing with .Net) because we have to have a way
to fight them _also_ on their technical terms, specially if we can take
software patents down.

But    _we_      _don't_     _need_     _them_     !!!!

We have viable options, and the smarts needed to make them available not
to a particular language but to many (if not all).

Besides, I'm terribly afraid of "viruses" starting to show up due to
uneeded scripting...

Rui

+ So let's do it...?