Re: Where we stand in regard to the future platform / desktop technology

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 01:21 +0100, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

> In either case, adding to GNOME dependencies on Java/J2EE or C#/.Net  is
> absurd and a waste of resources.

Exactly what part of it is a waste of resources? No one is suggesting we
depend on non-free software, so I'm not sure where you're getting this
J2EE or .NET from.

> It is important that the Free Software community has something to
> interpret or even handle these proprietary languages (and don't give me
> ECMA RF "sand in the eyes", since there's a lot outside of it that many
> will want/need when developing with .Net) because we have to have a way

Thats why we restrict ourselves to ECMA, and our *own* library stack. No
one wants GNOME to depend on .NET -- its simply not on the table. Please
read the big long parent thread if you don't understand what people are
arguing.

> We have viable options, and the smarts needed to make them available not
> to a particular language but to many (if not all).

Thats the whole crux of the discussion! Please let us know what you
consider the alternatives to be.

> Besides, I'm terribly afraid of "viruses" starting to show up due to
> uneeded scripting...

Neither Java nor C# are scripting languages. Linux is not Windows.

> Rui

Cheers,
Ryan