Re: GNOME 2.8: Scripting

Hi James,

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 03:03, James Henstridge wrote:
> On 30/03/04 00:17, Andrew Sobala wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 23:44 +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> >

> >>For in-process scripting, GObject with appropriate introspection info
> >>would probably work pretty well.  For out-of-process use, custom CORBA
> >>interfaces work pretty well, although I realise that they are a pain to
> >>implement in C.
> >>

> >But maybe not so hard to create, if we get the first case working.
> >
> >gobject_proxy_over_corba ?
> >

> If the hypothetical GObject introspection framework I mentioned above
> was powerful enough to build full featured Python/Perl/whatever wrappers
> at runtime, then this should be quite easy as well.  I'd expect the code
> to look quite similar to PyORBit (except without all the Python stuff ...).

	The code on the "gobject-adaptor" branch of ORBit2 might be interesting
here to give you an idea how to implement it. Without thinking about it
too hard, you need:

  + An object adaptor to handle incoming requests, look up the GObject
    associated with and object reference and invoke the method or
    whatever using the introspection data.

  + Some code to generate a CORBA object reference on request for a
    GObject.

  + Define a GObject CORBA interface which would include a method for
    querying the introspection data. All GObjects would implicitly
    expose this interface. We might want to include ref-counting or
    leasing in that interface.

	Actually, this would all work quite well I think :-)

Cheers,
Mark.