Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

Ronald Bultje wrote:
Anyway, all the above doesn't mean I necessarily agree with using
alsa/dmix, there's some fundamental problems there as well. First off,
there's Solaris, HP, BSD.

Well, do you believe that providing a software emulation in the case of missing hw caps is GNOMEs problem, or the underlying host systems? If it's not GNOMEs problem why should this be an issue?

Second, there's the issue with network
transparency, Jeff suggested to drop it, which I'm ok with. If we're
not, then we'd have to code that separately. That sucks.

The proposal outlines a way that could be coded very easily. I doubt the necessary plumbing plugin/userspace app amounts to more than a few screenfuls of code.

Thirdly, with
ALSA, we'll have the transition from ESD to ALSA, which will take a lot
of resources, unless we add a compatibility wrapper, which we'd have to
code as well.

Not really, esound can play via OSS can't it? ALSA provides the "aoss" wrapper script so you can run esd via that for compatibility with older applications. It just means invoking it as "aoss esd" instead of "esd".

thanks -mike