Re: Polypaudio action plan

Christian Meyer wrote:

Am Mittwoch, den 24.11.2004, 18:06 +0100 schrieb Dave Neary:

<snip/>

If we merely deprecate esound (while still including it for backwards
compatibility) and reccommend polypaudio in the release notes, then there's no
guarantee that distros will ship polypaudio (which is better than esound, by
concensus), and many users will be stuck with the crappy but well-tested esound
back-end for gstreamer and gnome. At least, that seems to me like a good
possibility.

I have to agree with Dave here. esound should be provided as the
fallback daemon in case a distribution doesn't/won't/... ship
polypaudio.

I don't think Dave was suggesting that, I think he was merely pointing out that it will probably happen... I could be wrong. Anyway, I don't think Gnome needs to provide esound as fallback daemon, distributions that don't/won't ship polypaudio are probably going to include esound or whatever sound system they want to use.

Regards,
Ricardo Veguilla