Re: [pygtk] Using python + pygtk in Desktop modules (was Re: Revisiting the Gnome Bindings)

On mån, 2004-09-27 at 11:36 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> Jonathan said:
> > I would love to see limited use of python in the desktop release for
> > GNOME 2.10.
>
> I'd love to see whether this idea can fly, and I like the idea of
> maintainers getting what they need for their own specific modules.
>
> I have some practical concerns about the binding support. Jonathan and
> Thomas, in your proposed cases, would pygtk be enough for you, or do you
> need to use API that is not just in GTK+ and libglade. For instance, would
> you need API-stable gnome-vfs and gconf bindings? If those are not
> available to you, can you workaround it by using C directly from python?

I'd say that there are basically two different options:

1) Include only bindings for Gtk+ and friends (pygtk)

2) Include bindings for the complete platform, that would include
bindings for all gnome apis (in gnome-python), orbit (pyorbit), libxml2,
vte, gstreamer.

In my opinion, if we choose a language, we should choose one which you
can write applications for the whole stack, or at least as much of it
that's available.

--
Johan Dahlin <johan gnome org>