Re: Using python + pygtk in Desktop modules (was Re: Revisitingthe Gnome Bindings)

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 09:42 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> No packaging system that I am aware of handles situations like Python's
> (or the kernels, or GStreamer's, or any other framework's) either.
> Namely, say you have the framework package of a particular version
> installed; python-2.3.  And then you have a versioned library installed
> for this framework; say, pygtk-2.3-2.4.  (pygtk 2.4 for python 2.3)  Now
> an upgrade of python comes along to 2.4.  The system should see that to
> install python 2.4, you need the matching pygtk-2.4-2.4 package in order
> to make sure all apps keep working.  No packaging system can do this,
> however.

I don't quite understand why this would be a problem.

If a version of an operating system is released with python-2.3, the
pygtk-2.4 package should install its files into the python-2.3 versioned
module directory.

When a new version is released with python-2.4, the *new* pygtk-2.4
package distributed with *this* version of the operating system would be
compiled against python-2.4 and install its files into the python-2.4
versioned module directory.

Is this not how it works at the moment? If not, why not?

Thanks,
--
Andrew