Re: Gnome Session Services Framework

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 14:14 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> Hey, guys- if I wanted to test this:
> (1) what would I need to do to set it up, exactly? (presume that I
> have all of GNOME running from source, and can patch as needed.)

You just need to patch gnome-session with Rodrigo's latest patch
(turning it on with whatever the compile switch is - Rodrigo?) and
compile libgnomeservice from CVS.

> (2) how could I tell if it succeeded/failed? What are the
> expectations, design goals, etc.? What new things should I be able to
> do as a user (or admin) that I couldn't do before? What things do you
> expect won't work?

For right now, I would keep checking that we don't hose the session with
the patch turned on (i.e. everything works as normal).  Rodrigo, can you
supply Luis with a service that uses the wrapper?  You would need that
to check if the service starting code is working properly.

Future looking we are going to replace the current hard coded services
(like gnome-settings-daemon) as libgnomeservice's and have them start up
using the dependency code.  At that point as we patch services you will
be able to check if the services do indeed start in the right order and
even profile to see if there is something we can be doing to get things
started faster.