Re: Three Point Zero - Idea Mockups

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 04:28:21PM +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> So maybe GNOME should switch to a purely name based versioning scheme.
> Drop the 2 prefix, it just becomes GNOME not GNOME 2 and give each release
> a new name (avoid animals, it's been done ;). That would also focus
> peoples minds back on iterative improvements instead of breaking backwards
> compatibility or top-down rethinks. Instead of "GNOME 2.12" it could be
> called, oh, I don't know, the GNOME Topaz release.

Didn't we do that with "October GNOME".  I forgot why we stopped?

I think the reason we don't do name versioning because most of the
productization is done downstream (or upstream, I can never tell)
and it makes packaging difficult especially if you want to do point
releases, bug releases etc etc.

Ubuntu is easy because it's a single all encompassing distro and
pretty much a one shop.  GNOME doesn't work well without the rest
of the parts of the OS/Distro.

Now if we're talking about a single desktop with all the tools in it thats
desktop enabled then perhaps a name makes sense.  Otherwise I think it's
just leads to confusion:

Freaky Frog Distro, the all encompassing, slices and dices distro
comes with the "Freak Friday" version of GNOME.  Yay.

sri