Re: Three Point Zero - Idea Mockups

On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:21:32 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> think the reason we don't do name versioning because most of the
> productization is done downstream (or upstream, I can never tell)
> and it makes packaging difficult especially if you want to do point
> releases, bug releases etc etc.

Sure, the version number wouldn't disappear so much as be de-emphasised.

The version number of Windows XP is 5.1 - did you know that? If not you're
in good company. It's only an interesting fact for people writing
installers. For users it's "XP" or "XP Service Pack 2".

Look at the front page of gnome.org - the current version number features
prominently. Now look at apple.com, do you see a version anywhere? No. It
exists but Apple hide it.

-mike