Re: Three Point Zero - Idea Mockups

<quote who="Mike Hearn">

> On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:21:32 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> > think the reason we don't do name versioning because most of the
> > productization is done downstream (or upstream, I can never tell) and it
> > makes packaging difficult especially if you want to do point releases,
> > bug releases etc etc.
>
> Sure, the version number wouldn't disappear so much as be de-emphasised.
>
> The version number of Windows XP is 5.1 - did you know that? If not you're
> in good company. It's only an interesting fact for people writing
> installers. For users it's "XP" or "XP Service Pack 2".
>
> Look at the front page of gnome.org - the current version number features
> prominently. Now look at apple.com, do you see a version anywhere? No. It
> exists but Apple hide it.

I have been thinking similar thoughts. It's not exactly high on the agenda
of "shit we need to fix", but it might be a cute little marketingish change.
:-)

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2005: May 29th-31st                           http://2005.guadec.org/

    "...and did you know that Twisties have real cheese in them?" - Dave
        "I didn't even think they had real twists in them!" - Andrew