Re: Three Point Zero - Idea Mockups

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 17:33 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:21:32 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> > think the reason we don't do name versioning because most of the
> > productization is done downstream (or upstream, I can never tell)
> > and it makes packaging difficult especially if you want to do point
> > releases, bug releases etc etc.
>
> Sure, the version number wouldn't disappear so much as be de-emphasised.
>
> The version number of Windows XP is 5.1 - did you know that? If not you're
> in good company. It's only an interesting fact for people writing
> installers. For users it's "XP" or "XP Service Pack 2".
>
> Look at the front page of gnome.org - the current version number features
> prominently. Now look at apple.com, do you see a version anywhere? No. It
> exists but Apple hide it.

I suspect that those odd product names lead to confusion in the long
term. That confusion is only reduced a little because there are so few
major releases. We'd probably have approximately six 6-monthly releases
in the time between a Windows 2000 and Windows XP, or between XP and
Longhorn. Something for marketing-list anyway.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com