Re: Proposal for inclusion in Desktop: GNOME Power Manager

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 10:36 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:

> I thought you essentially proposed eliminating the difference longer
> term between applets and systray items at your GUADEC talk.

Fundamentally, yes. However it involved making the panel one big
draggable system tray kind of thing. It also involved having applets
register and unregister themselves based on one of three modes.
Batteries would register as hardware applets.

Vincent and I decided that in the near future, we should not break
compatibility with the existing panel, and as much, we've done nothing
on this next generation panel besides chatted about it.

Notification icons should only be used for notifications, at worst
programs and certainly not daemons. Nobody wants to recreate the Windows
login experience (with all the systray icons appearing while the desktop
loads).

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA