Re: Proposal for inclusion in Desktop: GNOME Power Manager

Ideally, to my mind:
- Battstat should display the battery power all the time, as it does now
- Clicking on battstat should bring up a detailed view of every battery known to the system (this may also be available in other ways). If GPM is online, it uses that information, else it only returns the status of batteries known to
HAL.
- Battstat will notify you when you're laptop is running low
- GPM will notify you when any other battery is running low (perhaps via
Battstat).
- Battstat will be able to run without GPM
- GPM will be able to run without battstat.

I agree with most of this. Only I find it strange that battstat will notify that my laptop is running low and gpm when keyboard or mouse power is low. A user should not have to run an applet to get a message that his/her laptop battery is dying. That message should always come.

In my opinion the ideal solution looks like this:

GPM provides the basic power management and battstat provides an optional visual indication of the current power situation. So GPM is always running and the battstat applet is optional.

GPM
---
* Always provides notifications to the user of possible "emergencies"
  - battery low on any device
* Provides a capplet to specify power settings and give an overview of batteries in the system

Battstat
--------
* An applet which gives visual feedback of the main battery status in the panel.
* Has a menu item to launch the gpm capplet
* Has a menu item to launch a dialog showing the status of every battery in the system * Provides "non emergency" notifications such as batteries fully charged, AC adapter

I think this way there hardly needs to be any communication between battstat and GPM.

What do you think about this? (I'm not considering any practicallities yet like should we adapt battstat or gpm or write something new)

Jaap