Re: GStreamer version for 2.14

Hi,

> Without any of this, people will just switch back to totem-xine or
> other, non-GNOME apps like always, or just continue self-confirming that
> Linux sucks. Very disappointing after my hard work to make GStreamer not
> totally suck from an end user's point of view. Basically a total year
> wasted.

As Christian is saying, you're painting a too bleak picture.  We've all
invested in 0.8, both us as community members and some of us as
employees of Fluendo.  So have you, both in your spare time as well as
paid by Fluendo.  None of your work is wasted - all of it is already
being used already or waiting to be ported over.  Every single element
that gets ported to 0.10 gets started from the 0.8 version.

Also, let's not overstate the problems in 0.10.  It's pretty clear that
a lot of formats are easier to fix in 0.10.

With Julien's fixing on Totem this weekend as well as some other fixes
all over, I've been able to play .avi files, divx files, mpeg-4 video
files (apparently a bunch of quicktime fixes went in), and all of them
have a lot better and more responsive seeking than the 0.8 versions ever
had.

Also, 0.10 handles aspect ratio better than 0.8 did - try playing
starwars.mkv in the 0.8 and 0.10 version, it's a particularly hairy file
to test with.  Unless Nathalie Portman is in fact so stick thin that she
needs to go see a psychiatrist for her eating disorder, this is just one
of the cases where the 0.10 version is simply better than 0.8

All of the file tests I did were done with only the GStreamer modules,
no Fluendo-specific modules in there.

The only major formats that I have files for that do not work at all yet
are .asf and .wmv files.  And the only real issues I had with current
files were with some .vob files (not all of them) - which also seem a
lot better with the freely available Fluendo MPEG demuxer.

I hope people will try out the 0.10 version of totem and give us some
feedback on what works.  If you haven't seen the seeking yet, you should
- it's zippy.  Scrub that drag handle to and fro.  You know you want
to !

Happy hacking,

Thomas

I've got ladyfingers baby