Re: WAF (Was: build tools)

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 16:15 +0100, Daniel Svensson wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 4:03 PM, Daniel Svensson <dsvensson gmail com> wrote:
> > On Dec 3, 2007 3:51 PM, Ross Burton <ross burtonini com> wrote:
> > > autoconf has standard support for running tests on the local machine for
> > > example to determine the word size, if the networking layer supports
>
> Ah, ofc runtime checks. Not sure actually. Haven't used it thanks to
> glib hiding low level stuff like that from me ;). I suggest you drop a
> mail to the waf-list instead, or join #waf @ freenode. That is
> definatly something required to build something like GLib. If such
> checks aren't possible yet with control host<->target, it's definatly
> something that should be filed as a bug.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/waf/issues/list

I honestly don't see the point of supporting runtime tests with cross
compilation in the build tool.  I mean, the most that the tool can do is
give an error message saying the test cannot be run.  How will that
help?  And how does autoconf get away with it?  Last I checked, autoconf
just gave an error message; but then how do people do cross-compilation
if some tests cannot be run?

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
"The universe is always one step beyond logic" -- Frank Herbert