Re: Proposed suite: developer tools

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 13:47 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le mercredi 10 janvier 2007, �2:56, Tristan Van Berkom a �it :
> > So for my part - I think holding back might send a message that this
> > thing is bigger and scarier than it really is (or should be), which is
> > just better coordination among related projects and better visibility
> > of stable releases and schedules.
>
> On the other hand, if we hold back and have more modules for 2.20 than
> for 2.18, this might make more noise and attract more people :-)
>
> Should we consider this kind of marketing arguments?
>
> (Oh, and I like the idea, and I want such a suite. I've no strong
> opinion on whether we should do it now or wait a cycle to have more
> tools)

I remember being around when people were first bouncing around the idea
of a developer's suite and I'd love to see it a reality, but you're
bringing up an interesting point.

If we did it now, we'll probably have Devhelp and Glade-3. For G20 we
might add Nerimeriver (how do you spell it?) and maybe Anjuta. I'm not
sure on what the timeline for GtkBuilder is, but an interface editor at
that point would certainly be a wonderful complement. That said, there
are still people who have never heard of Devhelp, if we had an official
developer set, maybe it would get more press and as soon as possible.

So, I would be tempted to add it now, and add the debugger/IDE next
time, but there is certainly a case to go for the suite-grande next time
around.

--d

PS. I have been drinking, if this doesn't make sense, that is why.

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA