Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.24

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:34 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > IMHO it would be stupid for current IRC users to replace their current
> > IRC application with Empathy at this moment. Its IRC support just is
> > not
> > ready yet. This can be fixed - of course.
>
> Why would the fact that it _could_ do IRC, but doesn't do it well stop
> it from being included in GNOME. I don't see any reasons why.
>
> We didn't stop Totem being included without DVD playback (at the time)
> because users would be confused about not using VLC or whatever.

Agreed.  Chat room support is even planned to be removed shortly, so the
point is moot.

There are several applications in the same space as Empathy which people
currently use until GNOME has an official IM tool, expecting Empathy to
match every feature of every application so that we don't have any
regressions is a bad idea.  Some people use emacs as an IRC client,
should we expect empathy to embed a lisp interpreter?  Obviously not,
GNOME wants a GNOMEy IM client, and frankly the only current contenders
are Empathy or Gossip.

Personally, I'm still using Gossip because I use Jabber group chats
constantly and there was problems with them when I last tried Empathy
(which was quite a long time ago).  I plan on testing this again
shortly, but I'm still +1 for Empathy in GNOME.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./