Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.24

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Sven Herzberg <herzi gnome-de org> wrote:
>  Am Dienstag, den 25.03.2008, 23:16 -0700 schrieb Eitan Isaacson:
> > Feature completeness, license issues and your favorite IRC client are trivial
> > issues that could be worked out.
>  If they were trivial, why haven't they been sorted out after the denial
>  in the last cycle, it would have helped a lot to be able to tell people
>  "your critics from the last proposal cycle are not valid anymore", but
>  as you can see, they are still valid; why IMHO proved, that these issues
>  are _not_ trivial ones.

As I see it, the license is currently not a problem and was not raised
as such in the 2.22 cycle (it was only noted that this could be an
issue if GNOME decided to move to v3 licenses but certainly was not a
showstopper then and is not one today).

As for the IRC/foo/bar interface - this really belongs in a separate
project. Empathy is an IM framework, not a one-size-fits-all solution
to world hunger at al. The whole point of making Empathy part of GNOME
is to allow the community to build great apps that use the
Empathy/Telepathy stack. These could include your favorite IRC client
with buddy support.

Feature completeness is not an issue as the project is young and does
NOT replace any other part of GNOME so we are talking about adding
features to the desktop, not about removing them. Totem was not
feature complete for a while and that was considered a regression
still no one proposed dropping it from the desktop. Same for GStreamer
after the move from 0.8 to 0.10 - both resulted in GNOME being a
better place for both users and developers.

Please don't cross projects solely on the "it can't do foo while
mlibpurple does" basis.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution