Re: New module proposal: gnome-user-share

Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le vendredi 24 octobre 2008, à 14:38 +0200, Frederic Peters a écrit :
>> Bastien already wrote about Fedora policy, httpd is disabled by
>> default.  I know that Debian policy is to consider that the user
>> installing a server wants it to be started.  From what I read of
>> Patryk, PLD Linux also starts Apache on installation.  What about
>> others ?  I guess Red Hat is like Fedora, and Ubuntu is like Debian,
>> but what about SuSE ?
>
> I guess you meant openSUSE ;-)
>
> Based on http://en.opensuse.org/Apache_Quickstart_HOWTO, my guess would
> be that apache is not running by default when it's installed.

Right, it's not. I know this because I always install apache on my
machines because libsoup's regression tests use it (with their own
custom httpd.conf.in), which is another example of a scenario where
someone installing apache doesn't necessarily want it running by default.

Of course, distros that think run-by-default-when-installed is the right
behavior could just split the package into "apache-software-only" (or
something) and have "apache" just be a tiny package that pulled in the
software package and added the config files necessary to make it run by
default. And then gnome-user-share would depend on the
apache-software-only package on those distros.

-- Dan