Re: New module proposal: gnome-user-share

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 15:11 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 23 octobre 2008 à 18:22 +0200, Murray Cumming a écrit :
> > Yeah, I have the same problem with Glom's dependency on PostgreSQL.
> > Debian/Ubuntu users get an unused PostgreSQL instance even when Glom
> > isn't running, just because its Debian policy to run any services that
> > are installed, with no apparent way for the package to request anything
> > different. I think it's a bad policy.
>
> If it’s really necessary for Glom to have the PostgreSQL binaries around
> (which seems strange when there are alternatives such as SQLite),

SQLLite can't do what PostgreSQL can do, which is why PostgresSQL
exists. For instance:
- Multi-user and the relevant locking.
- Access control.
- Network access.

And I'm quite sure that we'll discover various SQL things that SQLLite
can't handle when we try to support SQLLite, which we plan to do for
embedded devices. SQL gets complicated quickly, even for seemingly
obvious tasks.

>  we
> will simply split the postgresql packages in two, one with the binaries
> and one providing the service. Not a big issue.

So far that hasn't happened. But I've been dealing with Ubuntu because
they are (slightly) more responsive.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com