Re: Module proposal: dconf

2009/10/14 Martin Meyer <elreydetodo gmail com>:
> It sounds like the backend for GSettings is somewhat pluggagle, at
> least on a per-platform basis. Can we make this configurable by the
> distro people at compile-time or runtime?

Exactly, in fact, there is already a windows registry backend
developed by a GSoC

> Here's my thinking:
>
> 1) People may not like whatever storage mechanism is offered by dconf,
> so options may be good.
>
> 2) Some backends may not be appropriate for some user situations. For
> example, NFS-mounted will have special considerations because of the
> possible concurrent access problems. Maybe support some sort of
> lock-safe database for them.

The NFS problems is being looked at, some possible solutions are
already being discussed and probably will have a solution for this
soon for dconf (which is supposed to be the standard GSettings backend
in Unix).

> 3) Maybe we could design the system to support fallback/chaining
> preference reading: check the primary backend for a setting. If not
> present, check the secondary backend; if not present ... so on and so
> forth until the last backend to check is the system-wide default
> preferences database.

This is how it is designed, have a look at the whitepaper I attached
in a previos email.

--
Un saludo,
Alberto Ruiz