Re: Use of maintainer mode in GNOME modules

On Wed, 2011-09-14 at 12:22 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On 14 September 2011 11:43, Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:
> > why is that? I can imagine couple useful things being tight to the
> > maintainer mode, also those aforementioned deprecated stuff being in use
> > only for maintainers, not for regular users, like is done here [1].
> > Other users in this thread gave also reasonable examples of a usage of
> > the maintainer mode, not only for a makefile generation.
>
> Because maintainer mode existing is really annoying when you are a
> packager, and tying arbitrary unrelated changes to an option that is
> documented as only changing the make rules is just wrong.
>
>  --enable-maintainer-mode  enable make rules and dependencies not useful
>                          (and sometimes confusing) to the casual installer

        Hi,
the above help string might then just suggest that I would rather define
my own --enable-maintainer-mode  when I want to cover more things under
it.

> Options should do one clearly defined thing. What if a packager needs
> maintainer mode off but wants the GTK+ integration?

If you mean for the eds, then it's intentionally available for
maintainers only. And to be honest, it's for bug-buddy, to be registered
on the factory and catch any background crashes. Eds is still able to
run without gtk environment, it's "only larger" on a lib dependency.
        Bye,
        Milan