Re: Using the Unicode ellipsis =?UTF-8?Q?=28=E2=80=A6=29?= instead of three periods

On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 20:32 +0700, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Matthias Clasen
> <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy <pclouds gmail com> wrote:
> >
> >> So this change will be in en_US.po, not in .pot file? The reason is
> >> many translators will simply copy the original string down. Even if
> >> one knows about this, it's really hard to know which one is colon,
> >> which is ratio by just looking at it.
> >
> > There's a translator comment which explains the special characters in
> > the string.
>
> Yeah. I remember seeing Bastien or someone complain about comments
> about key names in gtk+ being ignored by translators. I would not
> count too much on it.

I probably did when all the clutter applications were crashing when
launched in Brazilian Portuguese:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/clutter/commit/?id=8d234d270a00abee8c46561903193097de78efe3

Given the patch, it's also possible that translator comments don't get
fed back into existing translations. So might be a tools problem as well
as one with the translators.