=?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_Using_the_Unicode_ellipsis_=28=E2=80=A6=29_instead_of_thre?= =?UTF-8?Q?e_periods?=

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
>> Yeah. I remember seeing Bastien or someone complain about comments
>> about key names in gtk+ being ignored by translators. I would not
>> count too much on it.
>
> I probably did when all the clutter applications were crashing when
> launched in Brazilian Portuguese:
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/clutter/commit/?id=8d234d270a00abee8c46561903193097de78efe3

That one too, but I was thinking about this

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.release-team/400

I'm a translator and am aware of these translator comments. Still I
find myself ignoring them sometimes (especially after translating
hundreds of strings). Please don't put big decisions on translator
comments.

> Given the patch, it's also possible that translator comments don't get
> fed back into existing translations. So might be a tools problem as well
> as one with the translators.

Tools definitely improve the situation where there is limited number
of options like this. For colon/ratio thing it's harder because the
tool writer must know about all supported language. Most importantly
no such tool exists yet, or not announced on gnome-i18n. If someone is
willing to write it _then_ replace colon with ratio character, it'd be
nice. The other way just makes the matter worse.
--
Duy