libtool doesn't like static libs, so why does GNOME require one on Solaris?

Specifically, -lmalloc.  I just discovered that the reason my recent
GNOME builds all seem to be lacking functionality is that not a single
"plugin-type" shared library built *shared* --- libtool whines about
how -lmalloc isn't shared, so it's creating a static library instead
(which is, of course, completely useless).

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu