Re: getting desktop size

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 06:03:14PM -0500, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > to put it's windows around these ... for example to avoid icons and stuff
> > (like other docks) if told .... this is another reason why it should be  a
> > hint to the app from the WM ... the WM can decide that it doesn't care about
> > the icons for such things ... it can also have it's docks or some areas it
> > doesn't want touched ...
>
> Again I am confused. Icons aren't dock layer, they are one of the layers below
> normal windows. I also see no reason for the panel to try to place windows
> around icons. Actually, I don't understand how icons relate to this at all.

I'm talking about windowmaker here ... the icons act kind of like a taskbar

> I don't understand what you're saying. To me the fact that their panel is
> override redirect implies that they don't have approrpiate panel-related
> hints, since override-redirect for a persistent window is a gross hack.

you can't change every app out there ... I think it's much easier for the
window managers to set a hint with the allowed desktop area then to "fix" all
their windows

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: