Re: Cavas Performance

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> As I started before, I'm writing a GTK/GNOME based Role-Playing Games
> based on an old text-based roguelike I made.  I want to use some
> REALLY nice graphics (I have a great DOS based pseudo-3D engine I was
> going to port: it's perfect for my needs).  The only method of
> embedding graphics into an app that I can find is the canvas (I've
> heard of an OpenGL widget, but I don't know OpenGL, and I've never
> been able to get Mesa to build right for my nVidia card).
>
> So, if I use the canvas, is it easily possible for me to build a
> graphic and post it onto the canvas (the engine will render to a
> memory buffer, then send to the canvas).  How would I do this?  Is
> there an easy to use Imlib and other standard GTK/GNOME graphics
> libraries for loading the pixmaps?

If all you want to do is to easily get a picture to the screen as fast as
possible, feed an RGB buffer to GdkRGB. The canvas is used for handling
structured 2D graphics (i.e. when you have a bunch of
lines/rectangles/other canvas items, and want the canvas to take care of
rendering things).

-- Elliot
for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.