Re: Enhancement of Gnome Help Browser

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 07:40:16PM +0000, Tom Gilbert wrote:

> > Having someone manage the whole help system project would be very helpful.
> > :-) We need work on context-sensitive help and user-annotatable
> > documentation, for example. You could also cooperate with Tom Gilbert on
> > his libGuide (nom?) project.
> >
> > -- Elliot					http://developer.gnome.org/
>
> Please do ;-)
>
> Head over to
> http://wwwtomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk/libguide.html
> to see what we're up to.

I can't help but wonder if the libguide project is a little overkill. Surely
the final goals can quite easily be realised by combining the rather
excellent GnomeDruid widget with GtkXmHTML (hopefully soon to be a mozilla
bonobo component) to form a standard step-by-step guide.

If you use Glade, you don't even had to write any code/XML at all to
generate a step by step guide. And that can also be very easily linked into
a context-sensitive help system, assuming a standard way to do it is agreed
upon.

I don't mean to emit any kind of dampner on a good free software project,
but I'm interested in the views of the main developers as to how the whole
'libguide' system is superior to the existing alternatives.

Kind Regards,

--
Lee.
http://atlas.cs.york.ac.uk/~lrpm100/