$LINGUAS variable and gnome-libs compilation ?

Hello,

I experienced a --maybe undesirable-- behaviour when compiling gnome-libs
from CVS on my linux box running RedHat. It is necessary to undefine
the environment variable LINGUAS before configuring. If you don't,
then catalogs will be installed only for the value given by LINGUAS,
which may be unexistant in the po directory.

On my RedHat distrib, LINGUAS is defined with the value `en_US' in file
/etc/sysconfig/i18n, and else is definied with the value `en' by gdm
when I start X11. So, it always has a defined value.
In both cases, the CATALOG variable in po/Makefile will
only take this value, for example :

% cd po
% make
make: *** No rule to make target `en.gmo', needed by `all-yes'.  Stop.

Which is clearly explained by the configure script , that
contains this code (ALL_LINGUAS is the list of all the languages
in po dir) :

echo $ac_n "checking for catalogs to be installed""... $ac_c" 1>&6
echo "configure:5198: checking for catalogs to be installed" >&5
NEW_LINGUAS=
if test "x$LINGUAS" = "x"; then
	LINGUAS=$ALL_LINGUAS
fi

Autoconf is version 2.13.

Best regards,
Fabrice

email: Fabrice.Bellet@creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Tel: (+33) 4 72 43 61 42		 fax : (+33) 4 72 43 85 26