Re: goad status

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 bob@cs.csoft.net wrote:

> redefining goad should break binary compatibility just a bit.
> Maby the best thing to do would be to seperate goad from libgnorba after
> the 1.0.50 release. The orbit stuff should be able to be done safely now.
> after the orbit fixup, I think goad should be x indemendent
> right away (correct?).

Just to clarify the release constraints: _only_ bugfixes in 1.0.50.
_nothing_ else. We are releasing hopefully in only a week or so, and
there is no way anything even remotely likely to be broken should go in
there. So, don't fool with stable orbit even. Just ignore 1.0.50. :-)

Once 1.0.50 is out the door, we will be sticking stable gnome-libs on a
branch and starting a development gnome-libs. At that time we maybe need
to get all the gnome-libs hackers together and have a clear plan for where
gnome-libs is going and when we will feature-freeze it, so we don't end up
with the haphazard mess we have now for gnome-libs 1.0.

In particular the libgnorba/goad thing needs lots of discussion and needs
to work well, so let's not stick any patches in too hastily (on the other
hand we do need a patch within a couple of months because that's about how
long we have before we need to freeze gnome-libs...)

Havoc