Re: Information Applet Thingy

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Martijn van Beers wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 03:47:16PM -0600, Dan Hrabarchuk wrote:
> > I believe he is speaking more of the icons you find beside the clock in win
> > 95. Not a full blown app, but a container of icons on the panel. An applet
> > that just displays icons.
>
> Yes, but why would we want that? A normal applet is much more powerful,
> and if you don't want that power, you can just create a simple
> applet that just displays an icon depending on the state the app is
> in, like windows does. If that's something people like, you could
> create an applet subclass that has a simplified interface which
> is aimed at just easily displaying little icons.

Correct me if I'm wrong.  A normal applet must ALWAYS be on the panel, or be
completely removed, no?  And if you start an applet, it jsut puts it on the
first available place, on the first panel, even if the panel is full.  I run
two panels, and the default panel to place applets is full.  The applets aren't
even visible.  I have to manually plave applets on the correct panel.  And then
I still have to must them over to the right side.  An applet that just
displayes icons would solve this problem, no?  Place the applet where you want
it, and all your little info icons would appear in it, making life much easier.

Sean Middleditch