Re: Some general facts about panel and gnome

Michael ROGERS <M.Rogers@cs.ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> That would be a nice touch - it annoys me when programs have items on their
> "recently modified" menu which don't exist any more. Does the
> gnome-recently-used service in cvs check this? (Sorry to ask, but I don't
> have the bandwidth to download the cvs version myself.) I suppose there could
> be a problem with checking files on automounted filesystems - you might
> have to wait for a CD or NFS volume to be mounted before the menu could be
> displayed. Is there any way for the program to check whether a file is on an
> automounted filesystem before trying to find it? (Look in /etc/fstab or
> something?) Then you could leave such files out of the list, or shade them or
> something to indicate that they might not exist anymore. Sorry if this has
> all been thought of, solved, and coded.  :)

It doesn't do this, it sounds like a pretty good idea.

One problem with the whole recently-used-files thing is that
we don't assume the user uses GNOME from only one machine, so there
are multiple file namespaces. I'm not sure what to do about that at
all, I think we have to just ignore the problem for now. Or maybe
stick the host name in the recently-used entry.

Havoc