Re: gnome-libs man pages.

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 05:59:13AM +0200, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Ian McKellar <yakk-gnome-devel@yakk.net.au> writes:
>
> > I hear Emacs is a really good SGML editor too, but it isn't WYSIWYG.
>
> !@#$ - why do you think a "good" SGML editor has to be WYSIWYG?

It doesn't, but this was one of the features that they mail I was replying
to was seeking. I use VIM and its great for me :-)

> > SGML can be converted to HTML on the fly. Also its impossible to
> > search HTML intelligently.
>
> Why do you think it's impossible to search HTML intelligently?  Of
> course, accessing Info files locally is fast and comfortable for users
> like you and me -- but it is possible to implement searching
> SGML/XML/HTML documents (on the server or the client).  Yes, even HTML
> documents -- just add usefull CLASS attributes!

Okay, given a class attribute perhaps, but with some hand-written, or
badly written autogenerated HTML you can't easilly pull stuff like
`find me the function "foo"' very easily.

> > I really want a Free Software solution to this problem too - probably
> > based around XML and XSL.
>
> My dear...  XSL(T) -- the worst "language" ever seen ;) Hype, hype,
> hype.  I've the impression that it's hard to maintain an XSL(T) program
> -- don't forget TCO ("total cost of ownership"?).  While DSSSL is
> defined by ISO, XSL is a "Recommendation" by W3C.  Reading c.t.xml or
> the XSL mailinglist, you'll quickly see that all half finished
> implementations (mostly JAVA based) are incompatible.

Well, I've been doing a lot of XSLT development recently and I really
like it. For what I've been doing with it its got about the right level
of flexibility and power. I can't comment on implementation compatability
issues because I've been using jclark's xt exclusively.

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar |    Email: yakk(a)yakk.net |    Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Area: +61 (8) | Home: 9389 9152 | Fax/Voice: 9260 2903 | Work: 9384 4700