Re: window-in-window MDI

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 10:17:49PM +0000, Tom Gilbert <gilbertt@btinternet.com> said
> As I already said, it breaks fundamental app/wm/X interactions. This
> is the most important point. GNOME should only break fundamentaly
> standard behaviours if there is a substantial benefit to be gained. It
> should not be done for a backwards step.

I think that this is the real issue.  As I understand it Window in window
MDI would require a great deal of cooperation with the windowmanager.  If an
app forces WiW but the user's favorite windowmanager doesn't implement it,
and there is no mechanism in place to fall back to a different MDI style,
that is a *very* bad thing.  Gnome is supposed to work with nearly any
windowmanager, it really would be a shame if apps that force WiW break that.

--
Geoffrey Reedy                   Student Network System Administrator
vader21@imsa.edu                    Illinois Math and Science Academy

"Unix-to-Unix Copy Program;" said PDP-1.  "You will never find a more
wretched hive of bugs and flamers.  We must be cautious."
				-- DECWARS