Re: System administration with GNOME.

Steps, in my opinion:

1. Specify universal config file syntax (xml?). It should also specify
in-memory interface (DOM?), CORBA bindings etc.
2. Write real parsers for most existing config files.
3. Write output filters
4. Write GUI

To implement (1) does not mean moving to central registry - only unified
in-memory representation. But you can still dump meta-config-data into
separate (xml?) file - imagine what it means for people needing kickstart
installs etc.
Writing (2) is probably trickiest part (sendmail!) - but if we would have
well-designed (1), it is mostly mechanical work (read spec and write yacc)

Lauris