Re: Back to Sodipodi!

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Lauris Kaplinski wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Gustavo Joćo Alves Marques Carneiro wrote:
>
> >   There is GNU project called plotutils that I think hasn't been given
> > enough attention. I know libplot isn't perfect, but I think one of the
> > gnome core developers should take a look at it before trying to reinvent
> > the wheel.
> >
> >   http://www.gnu.org/software/plotutils/plotutils.html
>
> The problem with many GNU packages is their relative lack of exposure for
> larger audience. GNU homepage is way too spartan and difficult to
> navigate.
> I understand, that pretty webpage is of lesser importance than good
> program, but FSF seems to be interested in PROPAGATING free
> software... So little advertisement will do only good.
>
> As of plotutils - maybe we can use these in gnome-print for:
> - AI output
> - HPGL output (somone even asked me about it - to use sodipodi for film
>   cutter)
> - FIG output
> - PCL output
> etc.
>
> Unfortunately it lacks at 2 things (maybe some are already implemented - I
> simply looked to manual)
> - alpha transparency

   True. But lets try to convince the developers of libplot to do
something about it :)

> - way to plot into memory buffer

   If you mean rendering into an offscreen pixmap, then it does support
that. I've done it before.

   If you mean rendering into the a client's memory buffer, then I think
you're right. But, libplot can be improved.

> Lauris

  I'm only bringing this up because GNOME *is* a GNU project (right?) as
much as plotutils.  Gnome-print and libplot have much in common. There's a
lot of duplication of efforts, it seems.

  I wish I could help to improve either, but I'm still a student (for 1.5
years at least) so I really don't have much free time.  In the meantime, I
can only ask for others to do something. :-) Sorry!

--
Gustavo J.A.M. Carneiro
[reinolinux.fe.up.pt/~ee96090]