GConf

I just read the current Gnome feature on developer.gnome.org by Havoc
Pennington (great book by the way).  GConf looks like a very
sophisticated design.  The second line of the article mentions that
GConf can be used with plain GTK+ which is great, especially for me
since I am currently doing GTK+ programming on NT.

Could I possibly build GConf into a Win32 DLL using Borland as the
code stands now?  I downloaded the code but I am still learning how
to deconstruct the Makefile.am's into something I could base a
Borland build on.  What are the dependencies for GConf?  Are those
all ported to Win32 yet?

If GConf is not ready for Win32 what could I use to keep with the
Gnome/GNU architecture for storing configuration information?  I am
inclined to use a simple text file in the same directory and the
libgome gnome-conf stuff mentioned in section 5.4 of Pennington's
book would be great but again there is no Win32 port of libgnome.