Re: How to make GNU software

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     All "major" Documentation projects that I know seem to be making the switch to
>     DocBook XML. I think the GNU project should re-evaluate this requirement and
>     either switch to DocBook XML as the official format for documentation, or
>     allow both types (at the author's descretion).
>
> It is ok to use DocBook XML if it can be converted automatically to
> Texinfo.  (This is stated in the GNU Coding Standards.)
>
> A year or more ago, we recruited people to work on automatic
> converters from DocBook SGML to Texinfo.  I think that some people are
> now using these converters, but I don't know how well they actually
> work; also, I don't know whether they handle DocBook XML as well as
> DocBook SGML.  If they don't do the whole of the job that is needed,
> helping to finish them would be a very useful thing to do.

It would be useful if there were a list of "Word Processors" that
could handle the DocBook format, and/or a list of print filters
that could format them for output.
(Possibly included as a link on the gnome web page somewhere)

--
The people who vote do not determine the outcome of an election,
it is the people who count the votes  -- Joseph Stalin

The counting isn't done, until the Democrats have won -- Algore