Re: [Patch] libzvt totally broken for fontset, hence CJK.

Christian Marillat <marillat christian wanadoo fr> writes:

> [...]
>
> > There are (large) patches for multi-byte and input method support in
> > zvt/gnome-terminal the Red Hat gnome-libs and gnome-core Red Hat
> > RPMS.
>
> Why these patches aren't in the official library ?

They aren't in the official library because they take the already
messy and incorrect ZVT code and make it a lot messier and less
correct. For instance, I believe the code simply assumes that a
multi-byte character that takes up n bytes will take up n
half-charcells - which is right for EUC encoding, but not for much
else.

We include them in the Red Hat RPMS, because we need the CJK support,
but I wouldn't feel comfortable encouraging them to be put upstream
without quite a bit of cleanup work -- for one thing, often
"mostly-correct" internationalization isn't very portable between
systems.

Of course, ZVT really needs to be replaced, so perhaps it doesn't
matter that much...

Regards,
                                        Owen