Re: Newby question - GNOME from source w/ existing gtk

On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 10:38, Steve Jorgensen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping to get started with some serious GNOME development (specifically
> focusing on gASQL) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get set up.
>  I've decided I want to install GNOME from source, and I've already found
> the GIG which should be a big help there.  I'm using SuSE 7.3 as my Linux
> distribution because it has given me the least headaches of any distro I've
> wrestled with so far.

nice that you're going to help on gASQL :-)

> Here's my issue:  I purposefully did not install GNOME or anything gnomish
> since I plan to install GNOME from source, but the gtk package was still
> installed.  There were too many important things dependent upon the gtk
> package for me to reasonably omit it.
>
> What's the best way to install Gnome from source in this situation?  I
> assume, since so many things are dependent on the existing gtk package that
> I should probably not touch it so I don't accidentally break something.  I
> guess that means I should install a second copy.  How, then, do I make sure
> that programs installed by SuSE always use the existing gtk, and programs
> installed from source by me always use the gtk that I installed from
> source?

you can install a GNOME environment in any prefix. For instance, I've
got myself some GNOME apps installed from source in /opt/gnome. I just
have the correct $PATH, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and $OAF_INFO_PATH set up to
point to that prefix. So, you can do the same, install all of GNOME in a
different prefix, and set up your .bashrc/.bash_profile for the new
environment.

cheers