Re: remove gnome-cd (and cddb-slave) from gnome-media

On 21 Feb 2002, Marius Andreiana wrote:

> On Jo, 2002-02-21 at 15:50, Sander Vesik wrote:
> > Are you joking or did a largish piece of multimedia capability from
> > gnome2, using as a replacement an app that is not in gnome2 and not ported
> > to gtk2 (last I checked)? We can't just go and do such large changes out
> > of the blue, especially after the beta.
> yes, might not be the time to make this change now (but it's about
> removing a small app, not adding one or splitting gnome-core...)
>
> About xmms/grip not ported to gtk2, there are many important
> applications not ported to gtk2. Having gtk1.2 still installed too
> is quite recommended. This is not a reason to keep gnome-cd.

Yes. But the gnome2 contents list is not a random selection of programs -
the result still has to be a usable (if minimal) desktop. Whetever the
application programs you use on tyop of the desktop come from cde, kde,
gnome1 or something else entirely is up to the user. But teh desktop
itself should provide a certain amount of facilities.

> About xmms/grip not being in gnome2, you can't have every useful
> application out there in gnome2. Guess what, distributions include
> other software which isn't part of gnome (surprise, surprise)

Sure. But presently there is a gnome cd player that integrates well with
gnome (and will continue to do so) - something that is not guranteed in
case of "thrid party" cd players. There is still nothing that keeps people
from using other players.

> > If you don't want to/can't maintain it we need to solve that problem
> by taking other developer's time with it? Microsoft has the resources
> to be involved everywhere, but gnu/linux developers in general, gnome
> in particular, are scarce and they need to manage things with a
> priority.

get xmms/grip ported, to a state that the usability/accessability people
are happy with it and we migt re-open the issue for gnome 2.2 8-)

> --
> You don't have to go to jail for helping your neighbour
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding