Re: Building on Solaris : /bin/sh != bash

On 15 January, 2002 - Mark R. Bowyer sent me these 1,3K bytes:

> On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 16:30, Charles G Waldman wrote:
>
> > I've recently gone through the effort of building Gnome on Solaris
> > and had to do a bit of hand-patching.  The main issues were A) needing
> > to add "-R" flags to link commands and B) errors in shell scripts
> > which seem to assume that /bin/sh is bash.  On Solaris this isn't the
> > case, and tests of the form
>
> Usually I find the easiest and quickest patch for this is to do:
>
>  ***************
>  *** 1,6 ****
> -   #!/bin/sh
> +   #!/usr/bin/bash
>
> If this could be worked into the configure scripts for all things Gnome,
> it would *really* help ;O)  Bash has been standard on Solaris since 8 at
> least, maybe a 7 Update.  I use tcsh (also standard now) so haven't kept
> track of it.

It's _not_ standard. It's additional freeware packages that you can get
either on extra CDs if you get the media kit or download from
sunfreeware. I thought Sun people would know this ;)

> Personally I quite understand the moving of bash to sh and tcsh to csh
> in Linux.  Unfortunately this breaks a number of key Standards, so
> Solaris can't do it.  But the user can.

Breaking the build for those that doesn't have bash installed in
/usr/bin just because someone wants to write "==" instead of "=" (which
is the same) sounds just plain stupid.

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric ing umu se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå