Re: new file selector dialog?

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 19:12, Naba Kumar wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 22:01, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >

> > mdew <mdew orcon net nz> writes:
> > > With the upcoming release of GTK2, I thought the file selector dialog
> > > maybe re-designed...To my surprise its still the same in 1.3.15, why is
> > > that?
> > >

> > Because no one has redesigned it yet. It's planned later.
>
> I don't know if you people will like it, but anjuta has an extremely
> good file-selector widget. It has all the features of gtkfileselector
> plus many more. I summarize the features below:
>
> 1) Clean, elegant and decent look.
> 2) Basic file manipulation, such  delete, rename, new folder etc.
> 3) Tab auto-completion just like gtk-fileselection.
> 4) Histroy browsing, like back, forward, up, home.
> 5) File type filter for various file extentions. This is something we
> have been missing in gtkfileselection for ages.
> 6) Show/hide hidden files.
> 6) Single and Multiple selection mode.
>
> Screenshot: http://anjuta.sourceforge.net/naba/fileselector.jpg
>
> Things need to be done if used for gtk+:
>
> 1) It was basically designed for gnome, but the widgets used are basic
> gtkwidgets. so, there should not be much problem in cleaning up the code
> for gtk+ only. In fact, we are ready to do that.
>
> 2) API wrappings to provide backward compatibility to the old gtk
> fileselector.
>
> People wishing to try it out can get it from gnome cvs at:
> /cvs/gnome/anjuta/widgets/
>
> --
> Regards,
> -Naba

Problem with Anjuta's Dialog and to an extent...GTK's default dialog...

Things Like
	"Delete"
	"Cut"
	"Copy"
	"Paste"
	"Properties"
	"Rename"

Should be in Context Menu...i.e Right Mouse on files...rather than a
button, which takes up screen real-estate for no reason. "Show Hidden"
Again Takes up too much screen real-estate.

Anjuta still has the Dir/File structure...just like the GTK1.2, which is
old school..which should change to something like my design (dir and
files appear in the one pane) and can ordered in a number asc/des ways..

There is no history "Selection".

Anjuta's file dialog is more like a few extra icons up top, but not
really a big change from the same GTK file selector.

--
ph33r!
Linux mdew 2.4.18-xfs-preemptive #9 Tue Feb 26 11:45:49 NZDT 2002 i686