Re: gtkhtml2 vs. gtkhtml1

> On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 14:11, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> > Imho the best option would be to scrap both and use Gecko, which might
> > happen in the future. For those that don't know, Gecko is the rendering
> > widget in Mozilla (also used in Galeon).

The problem with Gecko is the huge memory overhead it carries. I
currently have the latest CVS mozilla built from sources with full
optimization, release mode, stripped build, etc. TestGtkEmbed is using
up 14 MB according to procman (showing http://localhost:10000/ - the
webmin login screen). That's a lot of RAM just for showing a simple
page.

<comment mode="wearing-flameproof-jacket">
How about porting KHTML and KJS to GTK+2 ? I was looking at the code the
other day - it's LGPL, not too big and pretty clean IMHO. It's C++ of
course, so it might be a bit painful converting the stuff to GObject.
etc (I'm not very familiar with the GObject stuff - so correct me if I'm
talking nonsense). Besides, it has been done before (by the AethOS guys
I think) - so I guess the code is not that unportable. We might even get
some cooperation from the KDE/KHTML guys.
</comment>

Of course, I haven't done the RAM/CPU/features analysis with KHTML. It
would be interesting to find out, for example

1) Memory usage (for the simplest embedding case)
2) Features (editing allowed, etc.)
3) Rendering speed.

However, since the KDE guys use it for virtually all their rendering, it
should be fairly lightweight and feature-rich (just my guess of course).

Rgds,
Biswa.