Re: FUD about security and file extensions (was Re: Why file content sniffing sucks)

On Thu, 2003-12-25 at 18:19, Fabio Gomes wrote:
> Some people are telling that if we use file suffixes to determine MIME
> types, GNOME will have the same vulnerabilities that Windows has. This
> is not true.
[snip]
> --
> Fabio Gomes de Souza <fabio gs2 com br> (+55 81 9127-0597)
>
> .- GS2 TECNOLOGIA DA INFORMACAO LTDA :: www.gs2.com.br
> |- IT Infrastructure :: Security :: Embedded systems :: Linux
> `- Olinda, Brazil - +55 81 3492-7777 - negocios gs2 com br

My 2 cents: MIME Type by suffix only for speed/time critical
applications, such as displaying large directories. Proper MIME Type
sniffing for all "real" operations, such as file associations. Basically
using suffix as an approximation algorithm to speed things up for
noncritical operations.

Neither MIME database or suffix based ways are going to be perfect, so
we should be constraining our ideas to what ways we can get them to work
together.

Cheers,
Ryan