Problems using GNOME on NFS

I know that this question is a bit off-topic in
this list but since it is related with the way
Gnome works I've posted it here.

At work I'm stuck with a Gnome 1.4
instalation in a box that has /home under NFS.

Now it seems that gconfd needs to lock the
access to its files but since NFS doesn't
support file locking, it fails. I've solved
this problem by changing .gconfd to /tmp
and creating a symlink to it.

But now it is complaining about not having
access to the database to get/set the keys.

Does anyone know what hacks do I have to
do to be able to fully use Gnome at work?

Thanks in advance,
Paulo Pinto