Joining the community

Hello people,

I have some questions to ask you. I have been looking at GNOME and for
may be one year and a half and finally decided that this would be the
Platform I will develop my programs for. But until now I have been
mainly programming in web languages(PHP etc...) and working as a web
designer. Recently I got very familiar with C++ and liked it very
much. To be honest I've read this book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672322234/qid=1095336265/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-1198283-3371028
and it gives a good grounding of C++. I'm thinking of using gtkmm as
the binding. My main problem is that I do not have ANY real experience
with programming software for desktop use and such. I've been thinking
of the idea someone to help me get involved, for example, to tell
me:"Look at this code, try to add this, and see if there's a problem
with this..." and so on. So what I'm really looking for is some help
getting involved. Thanks in advance

Cheers,
gamehack